Illuminations seeks proposals for events that manifest genuine creativity and artistic excellence while also appealing to students from across campus. Possible event formats include performances, lectures, screenings, exhibits, workshops, master classes, demonstrations, and panel conversations. Performance events should incorporate a reflective component, such as an introduction, a respondent, or a Q&A period. All events should address a broad audience with a primary focus on UCI undergraduates. Events should also enhance UCI’s visibility as a leader in the arts and humanities. The Chancellor’s Office will provide funding for several faculty-initiated events during the 2018-19 academic year. Proposals will be read and ranked by the Illuminations Campus Council. Illuminations will work closely with grant recipients to support and promote each event. Primary and substantial responsibility for event planning and production, however, will reside with the grant recipient and his/or originating unit. Events that include student organizations, librarians, or staff as team members are encouraged, as are events that dovetail with curricular or campus initiatives and events that integrate the arts and humanities with science and technology.
Deadline: Friday, March 1, 2019, at 5:00 pm
Guidelines for Illuminations events and co-sponsorships
- A UCI faculty member must initiate the proposal and take the lead in insuring its success.
- UCI undergraduates must be the main audience.
- Event must be inclusive and welcoming to all members of the UCI community.
- Event must have a clear arts and culture component.
- Event must be free to UCI undergraduates.
- Quality and perception: Will the event be of high quality and will it be perceived as such?
- Student interest and participation: How will the event attract broad student interest? If students are members of the team proposing the event, how have they been involved in conceptualizing the event? How might students be part of the event itself? Is there a clear audience-building plan?
- Feasibility: Can the event be successfully produced and completed in the estimated time and with the funds available?
- How will the event promote faculty/student interaction?
- How does the event connect to broader curricular or academic goals?
- How will the event enhance UCI’s reputation and visibility as a leader in the arts and humanities?
Illuminations grants cannot be used to fund faculty research or academic conferences. Illuminations grants must be submitted and supervised by a Senate faculty member, with staff support from a participating unit. Illuminations does not produce events; it funds and publicizes them.
If you have questions about crafting your proposal, please contact Julia Lupton, email@example.com.
The application consists of a series of questions plus a 3-5 pp. project proposal (2-4 pp. narrative; 1p. budget; PDF).
The application itself is online: https://scout.eee.uci.edu/s/illuminations2018_19